Essential Apple Podcast 87: A Pot Pourri of Tech with @Spligosh
Recorded 13th May 2018
This week while Microsoft had its Build Conference and Google hosted their I/O bash; other news, some of it even about Apple, did manage to get a look in... Nick Riley (aka @spligosh) joins me to take the typically Essential Apple wander around a pot pourri of Apple and other tech stories... You don't need a special invite to join our Slack community any more, you can now just click on this Slackroom Link to join up instead!
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
On this week's show:
- On Twitter as @spligosh
- Let's Talk Apple Podcast
- Apple helps discover new technique that could make aluminium for iPhones and other products without damaging the environment – [The Independent] (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/apple-iphone-aluminum-breakthrough-latest-update-product-rio-tinto-alcoa-metal-a8345686.html)
- Apple Doesn't Need to Make a Round Watch Because Their Design Won Out – iPad Insight
- Apple faces class action lawsuit over failing MacBook butterfly keyboards – 9to5 Mac
- Why the Apple Store Is Selling a Bike Helmet – Slate
- Surveillance video shows iPhone exploding, catching fire in store – ABC News
- 7 ways we'll interact with computers in the future – Digital Trends
- ‘Black dot’ bug is the latest Unicode text handling flaw to crash iPhone and iPads, works on iOS 11.3 and iOS 11.4 – 9to5 Mac
- HP-35 Scientific Calculator: The Origin Story – Codex 99
- Ring doorbell flaw lets others watch after password changes – Engadget
IN THE NEWS
Nemo's Hardware Store (47:51)
- Azpen DockAll D108 Fast Wireless Charging Sound Hub $230 US (but it is selling for $99 US on Amazon. Unfortunately Amazon UK only seems to have the older Dockall D100 for £140 UK - probably better to just order from the US and pay the $40 US shipping!!!
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to the tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.