Essential Apple Podcast 141: The Jony Ive Exit Strategy Edition
Recorded 30th June 2019
This week the iOS 13 and Catalina Public Betas launched - Simon (of course) ignored good sense and went headlong into them, consequences be damned and it promptly bit him in the arse! Apple bought a self driving car company on the edge of collapse we wonder what that may mean? They also hired a top ARM chip architect - some are saying this means ARM Macs sooner rather than later. Nick and Donny are not convinced, and nor is Simon. Of course we have to take a look at Sir Jony announcing his departure from Apple and we discuss what we think about that too!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow's 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
- Donny's drawing app offer Buy the app now at the 2 category price and 1/3 off! When the third category is added the price will go up! App Store
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flikr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to the Essential Apple Flikr and request an invitation.
On this week’s show:
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Find his stuff in iBooks, a load of sticker packs in the App Store under Donny Yankellow and DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- New store on 2FunDads.com
- 2FunDads FREE iOS stickers
- Skrbly Store
- Skrbly Studio (Anyone can Draw) – App Store
- Apple buys self-driving startup Drive.ai just days before it would have died – The Verge
- Apple Hires ARM's Lead CPU Architect Amid Rumors of ARM-Based Macs as Early as 2020 – MacRumors
- iPhone designer Ive to leave Apple – BBC News
- Microsoft Issues Warning For 800M Windows 10 Users — Forbes
- Lightyear One | The electric car that charges itself with sunlight – Lightyear
- Very nice if you have €149K or more to spend...
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B – Raspberry Pi
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Google’s new curriculum teaches kids how to detect disinformation – Engadget
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Luminar 3 Photo Editor for Mac and PC hits all-time low at $41.50 (Reg. $70): Use promo code TOYS15 during checkout – 9to5 Toys
- TrainPal – Cheap Train Tickets by Ctrip.com international – App Store
- ProtonVPN review: a brilliant VPN with no data caps – Wired
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Synology launches DS419Slim miniature NAS – DPReview
Nemo’s Hardware Store (1:15:36)
- Nemo Special Interview on electric cars
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery - protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to the tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.