S1E191 - Essential Apple Podcast 191: Time’s flown by…
Recorded 20th September 2020
Nick, Jim, and Donny join me to talk about new watches, iPads, AppleOne bundles, and a few other bits and pieces…
Image courtesy of Alan Cleaver
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots' Let's Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Books in Apple Book Store
- Sticker packs in the App Store under Donny Yankellow and DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- Skrbly Store
- Leo the Lonely Guitar
- Which Apple Watch to get: How the cheaper Series 3 and SE compare to the new Series 6 – USA Today
- Current iPad models compared – Apple
- Apple releases Safari 14 for macOS Catalina, Mojave users – Apple Insider
- Developers frustrated at just one day's notice of iOS, iPadOS and watchOS rollout – 9to5 Mac
- Restarting your device resets default mail, browser settings in iOS 14 – Apple Insider
- @stormgarelli’s AppleOne Bundle comparison spreadsheet – Twitter
- Every iPhone browser you can set as the default in iOS 14 – BGR
- Microsoft's underwater data centre resurfaces after two years – BBC
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Wow this is a bloody top tip via @windrider on how to get directional buttons rather than a swipe pad on the Apple TV remote app on your iOS device...
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back next week with more hardware...
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter... You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.