Essential Apple Podcast 108: Slap a sticker on it!
Recorded 14th October 2018
This week the Bloomberg story rumbled on, but Donny and I decide to just summarise that and concentrate on things like the Apple 11% drop in Q3 Sales. Alleged info on the upcoming iPad Pro. Apple's TV streaming plans and a wireless charger that intrigues both of us but we just think is too good to be true.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
DONT FORGET THE JOE KISSELL OFFER... 30% any Take Control purchase before November 30th with this link 30% Off or use the code ESSENTIALAPPLE at checkout. Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99US / £2.50UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager... I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week's show:
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his stuff in iBooks, a load of sticker packs in the App Store and DesignBundles.net (http://designbundles.net/) as Skrbly (Sale extended till the 27th now...)
- Apple donates another $1m, this time to earthquake and tsunami relief in Indonesia – 9to5 Mac
- Apple to Donate to Hurricane Michael Relief Efforts – Mac Rumors
- Google also pitched in $1million – CNet
- Mac shipments fall 11% in Q3 as customers await updates to aging lineup, IDC says – 9to5 Mac
- iPad Pro Face ID details, 4K HDR video over USB-C, AirPods-like Apple Pencil 2 pairing, more – 9to5 Mac
- TSMC to exclusively manufacture Apple A13 chip for next year’s iPhone and iPad models – 9to5 Mac
- Apple's Cook Visits World's Hottest Startup During Beijing Trip – Bloomberg
- Apple's Upcoming Video-Streaming Service Could Possibly Be Free – Motley Fool
- Apple plans to give away original content for free to device owners as part of new digital TV strategy – CNBC
- Man Wearing Apple Maps Backpack Surveying San Francisco on Foot – Mac Rumors
- Dr Andy Yen on his soapbox again... and rightly so I might say CPO Magazine
- Apple to Australia: “This is no time to weaken encryption” – Ars Technica
- Supply Chain Security is the Whole Enchilada, But Who’s Willing to Pay for It? – Krebs On Security
- 1Password for Mac disables auto-submit feature as macOS Mojave boosts security – 9to5 Mac
- Internet of Terribly Troublesome Insecure Things... A Future Where Everything Becomes a Computer Is as Creepy as You Feared – NY Times
- Pocket Plans to Turn Your Never-Ending News Reading List Into a Podcast – Fortune
- Just minutes after we finished recording @MacJim posted this in the Slack “Okay, I’ve just used the Pocket voice reader to listen to some articles that I hadn’t yet read and... it’s not half bad. Okay, it’s American accents (male that read the heading and female the article) but it’s okay. You do get the odd way Americans pronounce words and the way 108 is read out 100 8 rather than one hundred and eight but I can live with that. For an artificial voice, It’s reasonably human but I found I needed to slow down the voice from 1x’s to -9 to make it read back at a comfortable pace. Certainly useful. I presume you’ll have more options if you pay the subscription fee though but as it is, there’s no real need for that
- NIC Charger Launches The World’s First Totally Wireless Charger – IssueWire and Kickstarter
- Wi-Fi Switches from Obscure Protocol Names to Simple Generation Numbers – TidBits
- New Unique Feature in Luminar, A Surprise Update, and More! – Skylum Blog
- Alex Tsepko the CEO of Skylum (and a previous guest) has promised to come on the show in early December once the new version is released to talk about all the new features
- How Microsoft Plans To Avoid Nasty Windows 10 Update Bugs In The Future – Forbes
- Apple's Competitors Increasingly Build Hardware to Lock Users Into Software – The Mac Observer
- Microsoft joins Open Invention Network to help protect Linux and open source – Microsoft Azure
- Before China iCloud spy chip allegations, Bloomberg published these five incorrect stories about Apple – AppleInsider
- Security researcher named in China spy chip story voices doubts – Cult of Mac
- Named source in "The Big Hack" has doubts about the story – Risky Business
- U.S. Senators Are Demanding Answers from Supermicro About Spy Chip – MacTrast
- New Evidence of Hacked Supermicro Hardware Found in U.S. Telecom – Bloomberg
- Yossi Appleboum Disagrees with How Bloomberg is Positioning His Research Against Supermicro – ServeTheHome
- NSA denies spy chip claims, FBI says it’s not allowed to – 9to5 Mac
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Thunderbird 60.2.1 is out but the Auto Update may not be giving it to you... Go to www.thunderbird.net (http://www.thunderbird.net/) to get it
Nemo’s Hardware Store (30:09)
- X4 Home Super Compact 4-Port Charger with Type-C PD fast charging for the Home or Office https://www.rapidx.io/collections/x4-home/products/x4-home-white – $40 US – Amazon $38 US
- Qubii - Auto backup while charging. https://us.maktar.com/pages/qubii. https://us.maktar.com/collections/all/products/qubii $50 US on Amazon
- Silksmartish Cable Wrangler $20 US – Amazon $20 US
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to the tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.