Essential Apple Podcast 92: Is the AR Future Here Yet?
Recorded 17th June 2018
Well this week it has a bit of an odd one, quite a few stories but not much of any great import. Rogue Amoeba bemoaned the state of Mac hardware, while John Martellaro thinks the omens are good for new hardware soon. Developer Harley Turan showed us some AR that looked like the sort of real world use we've imagined. Apple closed down the lightning port to increase customer security while GrayShift claim to have already bypassed this defence (but then again they would wouldn't they). Karl Madden (@Claw0101) from the Mac & Forth Show joins me and we discuss all of it and more.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the shenannigans!
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week's show:
- On Twitter as @claw0101
- Host of the Mac & Forth Show
- How Apple can fix 3D Touch – Eliz Kılıç – Medium
- Apple has some new Ads called “Behind the Mac” – Mac Observer
- Apple Maps suffers widespread search and directions outage – Cult of Mac
- The Future Was Posted to Twitter Last Friday – The Mac Observer
- Apple recruits senior Waymo engineer & NASA veteran for self-driving car project – Apple Insider
- On The Sad State of Macintosh Hardware – Rogue Amoeba
- However John Martellaro thinks the omens and portents may be looking favourable; Apple May Be Ready to Unleash a Slew of New Macs – Mac Observer
- Apple acknowledges new efforts to thwart passcode brute forcing – 9to5 Mac
- Grayshift may have already found a way around USB Restricted Mode – Mac Rumors
- Private Internet Access' "No-Logging" Claims Proven True Again in Court – TorrentFreak
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- I wish I could buy Intel's cute little E Ink dual-screen PC. Part e-reader, part 8-inch tablet, the Tiger Rapids prototype is super nifty – Engadget
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Overflow 3 from Stunt Software
- Cmd-Ctrl-Space on the Mac brings up a searchable emoji insertion panel 😎
- Save Images Downloader
Nemo's Hardware Store (51:47)
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to the tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.