Essential Apple Podcast 145: It might as well rain until September!
Recorded 1st September 2019
And we are back! Did you miss us? Well despite August traditionally being a news dead zone and all round “silly season” - a moderate amount happened while we were taking a break. Simon is joined by Nick (@Spligosh) Riley to take a look at the stories that caught our attention over the last month including the By innovation only event, Siri debacle, iOS 13.1 beta, security scares and more.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow's 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
On this week’s show:
- Apple Invites Media to September 10 Event at Apple Park: 'By Innovation Only' – MacRumours
- Apple apologizes for Siri recording controversy, says program is returning in fall with major changes — iMore
- Apple Is Finally Budging on Letting Independent Shops Fix iPhones — Slate
- Cracked Apple Watch Series 2, Series 3 may get free screen replacements — Digital Trends
- For anyone who doesn’t know, iOS apps and web pages loaded in Safari have a way of expressing their full set of password constraints, so that generated passwords are compatible – Apple
- New MacBook Pro Leak Reveals Apple's Solution To Your Troublesome Butterfly Keyboard — Forbes
- Google's Project Zero team uncovers 'sustained' hack on Apple iOS devices – The Inquirer
- Researchers detail the most dangerous piece of iOS malware we’ve ever seen – BGR
- iOS 13.1 Beta arrives before iOS 13.0 goes live...
- iOS 13’s beta split is down to Trump’s threatened tariffs, not missed features – Medium
- Apple vastly expands security bounty program: higher payouts, ‘dev’ devices, Mac support – 9to5 Mac
- Affinity 1.7.2 updates available now - Affinity Spotlight
- Ashley Hewson will be on the show recording 15th Sept to talk to us about all that and more... Don’t miss it!
- Cerebras reveals world's 'largest computer chip' for AI tasks – BBC
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- New Attack exploiting serious Bluetooth weakness can intercept sensitive data — Ars Technica
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Flyboard inventor Franky Zapata crossed channel on second go – ABC News
- Don't fall for this 'Steve Jobs is alive' Reddit conspiracy photo – iMore
Nemo’s Hardware Store (58:10)
- Holiday recap
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.