S1E189 - Essential Apple Podcast 189: The Preshow is the Aftershow... or something
Recorded 7th September 2020
No Jim this time as he is back at work, but I am joined by Nick to actually do a show - but based on the feedback related to the “Not a show…” last week we are going to try a slightly less structured approach for the next few shows – feel free to let me know what you think about it. Somehow we managed to end up with nearly as much preshow as show... so although some of it covers the same ground the Aftershow is the Preshow (or something).
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots' Let's Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Apple Investing in Two of The World's Largest Onshore Wind Turbines in European Renewable Energy Drive – The Mac Observer
- Apple delays predicted iOS 14 data transparency 'adpocalypse' until 2021 – TechSpot
- Apple will release iOS 14 without this privacy feature: What iPhone users and developers need to know – TechRepublic
- Apple iPhone 11 was the world's most-shipped smartphone in H1 2020: Omdia – Pocketnow
- Apple’s new privacy ad has a ton of Easter eggs. Here’s what they reference – Fast Company
- Citroën cube car is set to win friends across France – The Times and The Sunday Times
- Mineral rich undersea nodules – Robert Llewyln, Fully Charged Podcast: Material for 1 billion batteries
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Windows Computers Were Targets of 83% of All Malware Attacks in Q1 2020 – PCMag
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Pixelmator Pro reaches 10,000 five-star ratings - and goes on sale! – Pixelmator Blog
- Luminar AI - AI photo editing for Mac & PC – Skylum
- Introducing Vectornator X4 – Vectornator Blog
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- People love this man's response to a lad cycling round his drive every morning – The Poke
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back soon with more goodies.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter... You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.