Essential Apple Podcast 130: So that Showtime event… Hot or not?
Recorded 31st March 2019
This week, in the wake of the Apple “It's Showtime” keynote, and with the luxury of a few days to mull it all over, I am joined by very special guest Carolina Milanesi of Creative Strategies and Tech.pinions to examine what was hot and what was not... and consider why so much of it felt like it wasn't fully baked yet. Plus, as always, a few other stories from the tech sphere.
A special thank you shout out to Allister Jenks (@zkarj) for his special donation to support the show... Very much appreciated.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Photolemur 2 free by helping this YouTube video to 100,000 views.
On this week’s show:
- Industry Analyst at Creative Strategies
- Writer and podcaster with Tech.pinions
- On Twitter as @caro_milanesi
- Apple announce News+, Arcade, Card, TV+ and original content – Apple
- Apple's AirPower wireless charging mat officially canceled – Cnet
- Steven Sinofsky @stevesi – Twiter
- Apple hires Tesla’s head of electric powertrains in effort to bring electric car to market – electrek
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Tough cookies: MEPs call for EU websites to be scrubbed of trackers – The Register
- Article 13: EU passes copyright directive which will lead to a more censored internet – Private Internet Access
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Calls for Global Internet Regulations – Bloomberg
- Yet ironically – US charges Facebook with high-tech housing discrimination – ABC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Cardhop for iOS makes contact management quick and simple – Cult of Mac
- From Allister (@zkarj) For Luminar users... I found this video incredibly informative. Not only for the topic it claims to be about, as there are a few other useful tips in there - YouTube
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Mother and her daughter rescued with new police tool – Daily Mail Online
Nemo’s Hardware Store
- No Hardware Store this week - Nemo was otherwise engaged
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery - protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.