S1E170 - Essential Apple Podcast 170: Insane Sandwich
Recorded 5th April 2020
Mark returns to the show and we’re joined by Donny Yankellow and Guy Serle to talk about the iPad turning 10, iCloud folder sharing, AirTags, Zoom, video conferencing and more.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here
- You can get Ghostery Midnight free for 3 months with the coupon code ‘workathome’
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @Macparrot and @VertShark
- Co-host of the MyMac show
- Mac to the Future and Guy’s Daily Drive on YouTube
- All his stuff is now at vertshark.com
- AarcadeReviews.com for apple arcade reviews and more
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Find his stuff in iBooks, a load of sticker packs in the App Store under Donny Yankellow and DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- Skrbly Store
- Skrbly Studio (Anyone can Draw) – App Store
- Kiddims on Graphite Comics
- Life is Random on Graphite Comics
- Apple's iPad turns 10 – Engadget
- Guy’s video iPad Day One
- Amazon Prime Video now allows in-app rentals and purchases on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV – The Verge
- Apple's new iCloud feature for iPhone and Mac may make you kiss Dropbox goodbye – CNet
- Apple Acquires Weather App Dark Sky – MacRumors
- Apple acquires AI startup Voysis to improve Siri's natural language skills – 9to5 Mac
- White-hat hacker able to hijack iPhone camera; Apple has now fixed — 9to5 Mac
- Apple’s new iPad Pro cuts off the microphone when its case is closed to prevent snooping — The Verge
- Apple accidentally confirms Tile-like AirTags name in deleted support video — The Verge
- Leaked iOS 14 screenshot shows new wallpaper settings, beta code reveals Home screen widgets – 9to5 Mac
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Zoom vows to win back user trust with extensive security review – Engadget
- Zoom adds new security and privacy measures to prevent Zoombombing – The Verge
- Every Zoom Security and Privacy Flaw So Far, and What You Can Do to Protect Yourself - TidBITS
- Videoconferencing Options in the Age of Pandemic - TidBITS
- School districts ban Zoom over security concerns Engadget
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Monument Valley 2 goes free – App Store
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- This adapter turns standard CarPlay into Wireless CarPlay, and somehow it actually works – 9to5 Mac
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back as soon as the trucks can get to him...
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.